20061129

On Line and Lots of News

What a week!
We arrived in town last Monday evening (10 days ago). Tuesday we inspected the house we were to stay in, and found it unsuitable (size wise). But there was nothing else available so we found temporary accommodation further north at a convention centre. Stayed there until John returned last Sunday. Now there's a story!
There were heaps of tears and nervous chatter at the airport while we waited for the men to return. So many families and friends had gathered to welcome them home. I felt quite emotional knowing any moment John would be walking through the doors. John was one of the last to arrive so I had heart flutters each time a uniform walked through the door. I was a bit of a mess when he finally arrived.
Then, there he was. I had to look twice to make sure it was him. I'd looked at so many soldiers walk through the door, I had to make sure it really was John. It took a moment for the children to recognize him, and I remember saying "There's Daddy, c'mon!"
Hugs and kisses all round. He felt so good to hug. Not that I could really get to him - he'd been swamped by eight other sets of arms. Willem was in John's clutches, Beth had wrapped her arms around his neck, the littlies were clasping his legs, and the rest of us did our best to complete the stack.
The media had attended the arrival also. Apparantly a returning soldier with 8 children and a wife hanging on him made good news. So, John, Elsie and Josiah got to be on the channel 9 news that night!! How cool is that!? I've got movie star kids now! That's what I've been singing to Elsie, anyway. What thrilled me most, was that John got a bit of recognition for the job he had done, and for the sacrifice he had made to do that job. I am so proud of my man.
On Monday morning, the Courier Mail also ran a story which included a picture of us all. We made page 3. The article tells of the scene at the airport, and about the two other soldiers which received special recognition with medals.
I quickly rang the family to brag, and I tried to send hyperlinks to a couple of friends, but it wasn't the right address (sounds about right for me!) But, I sent John out to buy some copies of the paper to keep in my scrap book. When the scanner is set up in the new house I'll be uploading a copy of the article. I just love the photo they published.
So, what of the new house? Well, that's another post.

1 Comments:

At 7:22 pm, Blogger Celebration of Grace said...

Hi Kerryn, great to hear your news about John returning home, and your new home. I searched The Courier Mail's website, and I think this is the article you mentioned:
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20825757-3102,00.html
It's a lovely photo, might be worth asking TCM for a copy of it.
Enjoy your settling in; love Karen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home